Welcome to Cedar Heights Community Presbyterian Church! We are pleased that you are interested in becoming a member of our congregation.
Becoming a member of CHCPC isn’t simply signing a piece of paper. Your membership expresses your commitment to our spiritual family, a family that worships together, grows in faith together, and serves one another and the greater world outside our church walls.
We are committed to making you feel at home. Our main goal is to help you solidify your faith and find your place at Cedar Heights. We regularly offer an New Members Gathering that provides an overview of our church as well as its relationship with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
If you are considering membership at Cedar Heights Presbyterian, you may visit with a pastor, elder, or deacon.
- Inform a pastor, elder, or deacon of your interest in joining or indicate your interest on the ministry of friendship folder or through a phone call to the church office at 319-268-0153.
- Attend an Inquirers class. Classes and lunch are held quarterly from 12:00-2:00 p.m. in the fellowship hall. The class provides an opportunity for you to learn more about the Presbyterian Church and the ministry of Cedar Heights Community Presbyterian Church. You will also be able to meet other new members of the congregation. Child care is provided.
- Meet with the Session prior to the worship service in Brinkerhoff Lounge on the day in which you are scheduled to join. At this meeting, you will be welcomed by the members of Session, get your picture taken, and be given instructions on your introduction to the congregation during the 9:00 or 11:00 service.
- Be present at the 9:00 a.m. or 11:00 a.m. service which follows your meeting with Session where you will be introduced, respond to the questions of membership, and be welcomed by the congregation at the conclusion of the service.
Paths to Membership
You may enter into active membership at Cedar Heights Presbyterian in one of four ways:
- Certificate of Transfer – Persons with current memberships in churches which send letters of transfer will be received into the membership of Cedar Heights by certificate of transfer.
- Reaffirmation of Faith – Persons who are members of churches which do not send letters of transfer, or those whose memberships have lapsed, will be received into membership at Cedar Heights by reaffirmation of faith.
- Profession of Faith – Persons who have never been members of a church will be received into membership of Cedar Heights by profession of faith (with baptism for those who have never been baptized).
- Completion of Confirmation Class eighth graders meet for eight months in preparation for confirmation the Sunday after Easter. See confirmation class schedule when posted.