A strong commitment to mission is a core value of Cedar Heights Community Presbyterian Church members who believe that serving others, deepens our relationship with God and with God’s people. Working together, we know that we grow closer to each other, to those we serve, and most importantly to the Lord through mission and service. Cedar Heights Community Presbyterian Church (CHCPC) members have stated:
- We’ve been blessed. Giving to others is a way to share those blessings.
- The Bible charges us to “love our neighbors,” including our service and our finances.
- Outreach giving is a way of witnessing God’s many blessings in our lives.
The value placed on mission at CHCPC is shown by generous support from the operating fund used solely for mission and outreach activities. Priorities have been established for the use of mission funds and guide the outreach committee in determining support to agencies, organizations and projects as follows:
- Hunger – Four local organizations are supported including:
1. Presbyterian Sunday Supper held at First Presbyterian Church, Waterloo, IA
2. Northeast Iowa Food Bank (www.northeastiowafoodbank.org)
3. Crop Walk through Church World Service & the NEIFB
4. Salvation Army – Feeding Program
- Helping Youth & Families – Five organizations are supported including:
1. Boys and Girls Clubs of the Cedar Valley
2. Family & Children’s Council
3. Adopt-a-Cabin – Lakeshore Center at Okoboji
4. Youth Scholarships to Great Escape Camp
5. Youth Scholarships to Montreat Camp
- Health & Housing Assistance – Six organizations are supported including:
1. House of Hope (www.houseofhopeccd.org)
2. Catholic Worker House
3. Cedar Valley Friends of the Family
4. Operation Threshold
5. Battered Women’s Shelter Salvation Army
6. Alliance for Mental Illness
- Global Categories – Six organizations are supported including:
1. Bihembe, Rwanda–Major emphasis since 2008, has been the support of the Bihembe community and the Presbyterian Church in Bihembe. Projects have included buying goats for food and fertilizer, providing access to clean water, electricity allowing for school computers, and building a secondary school. Now education scholoarships are provided for students to Bihembe secondary schools and university.
2. Presbyterian Disaster Assistance–contributions are sent as needs arise nationally or internationally (www.presbyterianmission.org)
3. Feed My Starving Children
4. World Vision Child Support
5. Water Mission (www.watermission.org)
6. Presbyterian Unified Mission giving, hands-on service activities are supported.
7. Equal Exchange Fair Trade Coffee
8. Bairo Pite Medical Clinic in Timor-Leste
1. Angel Tree in Advent—the congregation is invited to purchase needed items for families in the community.
2. Back to School Collection in August—the congregation is encouraged to purchase needed school supplies for a local elementary school with low income families.
3. Thanksgiving Food Collection—the congregation brings food items to the church for the local food bank. Every year the collection amount has increased.
4. Mission Trips Presbytery Annual Mission trip for adults with participation by CHCPC members
Other projects are supported as needs arise.